In Progress



We started a few masterpieces this week.   One being a creative endeavour, and the other we will leave to nature (with a little sun and water).

Yesterday's public discussion on the Senate's report on poverty was eye-opening.  We all know that poverty is devastating to one's soul, and for that reason alone, we should want to eradicate it, but it's been proven with unrefutable stats that it costs taxpayers more to allow our fellow Canadians to live below the poverty level than it does to bring them in from the margins.   It is to all of our benefit to educate, house, feed, employ and nurture every single one of us.  Imagine a country where each person is productive and paying taxes.  It would be an economic dream.  It costs taxpayers $100,000 per homeless person per YEAR.  Imagine if we helped lift that person up out of poverty by meeting their needs - housing, food, schooling, health, and finding a meaningful, good paying job.  It would be a very good start indeed.

So now I have to figure what I'm going to do about it.  In the next few weeks, I'll be meeting with the volunteer coordinator at a homeless shelter for young single moms.  In addition to some focussed volunteering, I will continue to talk about it and spread awareness and educate.  We need to show that the public, us, wants the poverty issue to be the government's top priority.  I've also joined the London Homelessness Outreach Network which is a grassroots organization developed out of the passion of individuals to take action on homelessness in our city.   If you feel like joining me, I'd be happy for the company. 

Happy Thursday, friends!
N

4 comments:

OrangeHeroMama said...

Ok, i am totally going to be bad here...you wrote a wonderful post..and i am going to comment....


'It's THE nightgown!!!!'
:D

Balkan Style Bloggers said...

I made sure I captured the nightgown just for you, Christy!! :)

knitty_kat said...

I understand why they do these talks during the day, I wish they would make them more accessible to people that can't attend.

As much as education is a part of poverty, so is health care. By not having easy access to help that people need it's far simpler for them to fall to the wayside. I think we need to re-examine the entire system and come up with a solution with less cracks in it.

You totally rock with the volunteer goodness!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Kat regarding the volunteering. I'm so inspired. Serving my community via volunteering is something I've been really wanting to do. I'm hoping to get going on that soon. Perhaps this is a good place to start. xo